Let’s face it, PMS can be rough. You crave sweet and/or salty, you get a little bummed out, maybe you get a headache and you are bloated, among various other symptoms.
It is a complex problem, here are some things that I have found make it better:
1. Lose the cupcakes. Refined white flour and sugar are pretty much bad for anyone. As a treat once in a while, no biggie. But avoid it during PMS time, as it is likely to exacerbate symptoms.
2. Lay off the booze. It is dehydrating and interferes with estrogen metabolism.
3. Mild to moderate (not heavy) exercise is a mood booster.
4. Breathe~relax~chill out. Basically do not be too hard on yourself. Take some time for yourself to relax. Treat yourself to a massage, order dinner in, don’t tackle big projects or make weighty decisions.
4. Drink this PMS smoothie for satisfaction and nourishment. Its about both. As healthy as I want to eat, it still needs to be a delightful experience. This recipe fits that need.
3/4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
1 very ripe frozen banana, cut in a few chunks*
1 T. flax oil
1 T. hemp seeds
2 T. Standard Process Whey Protein (or other pure, non-denatured, unsweetened protein powder)
2 t. cacao powder
Dump into a blender and blend till smooth and creamy. Enjoy guilt free!!
* Your banana should be super-ripe, brown spotted for this recipe to work best. Slice and put in a baggie and then freeze.
P.S. My children love this smoothie! I just don’t tell them its a PMS smoothie. To them, its known as a “healthy milk shake”.